Skip to main content

Testing Toolbelt: Testing non-xml attributes of responses in SoapUI

I spend a large part of my time developing web services, so I spend a lot of my time testing web services. One of the major tools I have in my toolbelt for automating web service tests is SoapUI. SoapUI does a lot of things, and even does a lot of things which I don't need, but it does the things I need very well. Today, I was trying to set up some testing for the security on my current project. As I was setting up the test request and pointing SoapUI at the appropriate endpoints with invalid http basic authorization credentials, I realized that there was no straight forward way to assert that the http response code was 401 (unauthorized) or 403 (forbidden). I did some digging, and found that you could create a Script Assertion (using Groovy) in the SOAP Test Step and use the pre-defined variable, messageExchange, to examine contents and statistics for the test step.

Asserting that a SOAP request with no credentials was responded to with a 401

assert messageExchange.getResponseStatusCode() == 401

Asserting that a SOAP request with invalid credentials was responded to with a 403

assert messageExchange.getResponseStatusCode() == 403

The Script Assertion also has access to two other pre-defined variables: context and log. context contains methods which allow you to examine the request and response programmatically and log, well I haven't had to use yet. These are posts for another day.


Popular posts from this blog

Using MonoDevelop to Create an ASP.NET Web Service

NOTE: instructions below are for MonoDevelop 2.6 Beta 2 - built on 2011-04-06 03:37:58+0000Getting StartedCreate a new ASP.NET Web Application in MonoDevelop: From the menu, select: File → New → Solution…Expand C#.Select ASP.NET → Web Application.Enter a name for the ASP.NET project that will be created in the solution in Name:.Change the root location for the solution in Location:, if desired.Change the name of the root solution in Solution Name:, if desired.The Results – IWhat you have after executing the new ASP.NET Web Application project wizard is a solution containing one ASP.NET Web Application project. In the default project view in MonoDevelop, you'll find the following items: Default.aspx – This is the default web form rendered and presented in the browser when http://<server>:<port>/ is accessed. Default.aspx.cs – This C# file contains the developer-created common code and event handlers which can be used to affect the processing of the form.Default.aspx.des…

Testing Toolbelt: SpringJUnit4ClassRunner

The org.springframework.test.context.junit4.SpringJUnit4ClassRunner class is another implementation of the JUnit TestRunner class which is used to enable various features of Spring for every run of the test class and every test within it. To use the features provided by the SpringJUnit4ClassRunner class, you need to mark the class using the RunWith annotation using SpringJUnit4ClassRunner as its parameter.In addition to the custom test runner, you will want to mark the class with the ContextConfiguration annotation. The ContextConfiguration annotation is used to mark classes which will automatically read a Spring configuration file and use it to create an ApplicationContext. By default, this file located at <package path>/<test class name>-context.xml. Use the locations argument to over-ride.The ApplicationContext used by the Spring-integrated test will only be loaded once for the whole test class. This behavior can be over-ridden by annotating a test method with the Dirti…